Monday 28 December 2020

Coronavirus diary, Sunday 27 December (posted 28 December)

Christmas is over and the fervent hope is that next year will be totally different. While I expect to have my vaccination very soon the national programme will stretch over months, but surely not as far as Christmas 2021.

We just have to remember this little Christmas with relief and be patient in the months ahead. 

At least we had something to celebrate, the last minute Brexit deal. If we had completely cast aside our close links with Europe we would have faced  some difficult years with almost certain shortages and inflation.

I remember well January 1973 when the UK joined the European Communities, the same day as Denmark and Ireland. There were celebrations throughout the country.

In Cardiff I helped to organise the Fanfare for Europe concert at the old Capitol cinema in Cardiff when we had an international singers and performers

But the strong ties between the city and the continent were already well established. For many years from 1961 I was involved in the twinning between South Wales and Ludwigsburg and Stuttgart in southern Germany and I still have close friends in Germany.They have undergone the same experience of coronavirus and have been dismayed at the prospect of a no deal Brexit. They too are much happier today.

I doubt if there will be celebrations this time over the deal although I am relieved and happy that the link has not been broken completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment