Saturday 28 November 2020

Coronavirus diary, Saturday 28 November



Happy birthday, Bob! Zooming with the family

As in most care homes, I am sure, life goes on at a leisurely, comfortable pace. The days slip by. The surroundings and the careers and company are familiar. All very comforting. 

Birthdays are special, memorable days, but sad now, without families.

Here, Sunrise carers and staff do their best to make up for this, and yesterday, my second birthday here, showed how successful they are.

It was a memorable day..

Carers helped me unpack bulky presents which I could not manage on my own and there were 'Happy birthday, Bob' greetings all day long.



In the afternoon, a get-together with balloons, gifts from Sunrise, and a one candle cake.

Later, in the activity room, an entertainer performed for me and three other residents with birthdays this week. 

I put my birthday cards, including one signed by over 50 carers and staff, on display in my room.

A lovely, heart warming day which I appreciated all the  more as, a few weeks ago in hospital, I did not think I would be able to continue to look after myself here. 

Of course I missed my family and birthdays past, the 26 years  in  Winnipeg Drive, just around the corner from here and the last 20 years in Penarth. 

I miss sitting on the balcony, looking out over the Bristol Channel, across to Somerset and the Flat Holm and Steep Holm islands.

An ever changing scene, with the comforting sound of waves washing the pebbles.



Thanks to a birthday present from Robert, Karen and Owen - a picture taken from one of our photographs - I can now enjoy that scene from my armchair.

A lovely reminder of a happy Sunrise birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment