Monday 23 November 2020

Coronavirus diary, Monday 23 November



My 94th birthday, Christmas at Sunrise and the prospect of at last getting out into the real world in the new year. So much to to look forward to.

And just a few weeks ago, in hospital, I thought I would not be here but in a nursing home.

I have been very fortunate all my life. My father died at 52 from a heart attack caused by rheumatic fever early in life.

I spent months in hospital with it in 1945 and, looking ahead, I never thought I would live to see the millennium.

Since then, until a few years ago, I have been fit and active and am now feeling better than I have for months.

It must be in the genes. The Dymond family, my grandmother Fanny and all her six children had long lives with Mum almost reaching her 103rd birthday.

I am looking forward to my birthday this week although sorry it will  not be a family occasion.

I had planned a celebration here at Sunrise and all the family, more than 20 people, had received invitations, but that will have to wait - not too long, I hope.

Bob turns 90, Cardiff & County Club

I have enjoyed my birthdays even if I can't remember most of them but one stands out, my 90th.

Bob, Owy and Owen

It was at the Cardiff and County Club, brilliantly organised by my grand daughter Siân with every member  of the family there; I, the oldest, and Rosa, almost two, the youngest. Rosemary and I loved it.


Beverley and Bob


For me, the happiness is tinged with sadness by the her death and that of Beverley, our daughter, and David, Julio's step-father.

But Rosemary - Owy - and I had a lovely life, from the time we met in 1945, followed by 66 years of marriage.

I am as fortunate now as I have been all my life, with my own family,  Robert, Karen and Owen and our larger family.

No comments:

Post a Comment