Sunday 2 August 2020

Coronavirus diary, Sunday 2 August


Apart from the huge cost in lives and the disastrous effect on the UK economy, the pandemic has created other serious long term problems. The lockdown has led to huge backlogs in health and care services.

At the start, thousands of patients awaiting urgent surgery had their operations and appointments cancelled, tests were deferred while the NHS struggled to avoid being overwhelmed
Now comes the reckoning.

The NHS Federation estimates a backlog of eight to ten million patients this year as so many people have  been unable to have surgery or even to see their GP.

Lives have been put at risk by deferred diagnoses, tests and treatment. Fewer people have been referred to hospital. The effect on the prevention and treatment of cancer is one of the most worrying aspects of the critical situation.

According to cancer research charities there is a backlog of 2.4 million suspected cases, with screening and other tests and chemotherapy treatment delayed. People have held back from contacting their GP, adding to the pent up demand. 

The Royal College of Nursing warns that the problem in England is made worse by the shortage of 40,000 nurses. Social distancing is adding to the difficulties for hospital staff. Worrying statistics. 

The lockdown has put a stop to my regular hospital clinics, two at Llandough and two at the Heath. I have now been on the waiting list for an eye operation for nearly three years while other important assessment and treatment is delayed. 

The regular visits to Sunrise by doctors from the local health centre - their surgery room is a few yards from my flat - stopped months ago although I did have one consultation over the phone and one visit about my arthritis.

I am fortunate .The Sunrise staff are excellent, coronavirus testing regularly and taking my temperature and watching my diabetes blood sugar level twice a day.

If I were alone at home trying to look after myself I would be worried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment