Sunday 9 August 2020

Coronavirus diary, Sunday 9 August


Roath Park Lake from Bob's scooter, Monday 2 March

It is five months since my last trip on my scooter into the 'outside world', an exciting drive, just under two miles to the local library and, a real treat, a visit to the shops in Albany Road.  

I stocked up with plums and oranges at the roadside fruit stall and enjoyed the ride back through Roath Park, even on that dull, cold early March morning.

It was good to be back in my old world. I did not imagine it would be my last venture out for months.

I had been in Sunrise for only six months before the lockdown and was enjoying my new life, lunches out with family and regular visitors. I  regularly climbed on board the Sunrise coach for drives  including my favourite, a trip to Ogmore by Sea.

I was looking forward to the spring and summer, even promising myself that I would 'pop along' to the local pub, the Discovery, for a pre lunch or early evening pint. 

I did not realise, like everyone here, that  I would lose a whole summer.

While life is becoming a little less confined - it was marvellous to have visits, even if only for an hour, from my son Robert and Ria, my granddaughter, in the gazebo in the garden - it is no substitute for the freedom I have had all my life, except in wartime.

We old people are inevitably bearing the brunt of a restricted life style, along with our children, concerned for us, and there is little sign of change for months.

When you are old and still capable of living a reasonably active  life days are more precious; they slip past too quickly.

At Sunrise we could not have better care and attention. Life is as comfortable and contented as ever and there are activities to keep  us physically and mentally alert. I have no difficulty in filling my days.

But I am still looking forward to happier, freer days. Aren't we all?

Bob's scooter ride in Sunrise's garden, Sunday 8 August

No comments:

Post a Comment