Thursday 20 August 2020

Coronavirus diary, Thursday 20 August



The fortnightly bingo session is a favourite in the Sunrise activity programme. Especially for me. This week I had my fourteenth win.

Nothing to do with skill. Sheer luck.

I had never played before and I could never imagine doing so. 
I wish I had started earlier. The prizes are modest, chocolates for a line and a selection for full house. Mine include jars of marmalade and jam, a pack of beers, pen set,  leather belt and a potted plant.

I even have a reputation as the Sunrise bingo king. Residents want to sit next to me. 

The odds are good, with only fifteen or so players, but the chances of winning almost every session must be slim and I just can't explain my lucky streak. 

It's not that I have a track record of gambling.

Bob, the youthful gambler


Over the years my risk level has been minimal. Not surprising as I gave up over 80 years ago. 
I learned my lesson very early. I was about six years old.when I was taught by 'Daddy Gray', owner of the sweetshop next door to Allfarthing Lane junior school in Wandsworth.

He had a money making contraption, the size of a covered tray.
You handed over your halfpenny stake - half my weekly pocket money - and, with a small stick, pressed one of the many spots on the surface, releasing coloured balls that ran hidden down the slope  to emerge at the bottom.

I still remember the colours and the prizes.

A black won you half a pound of sweets, orange four ounces, red two, green one and white, just half an ounce. Exciting.

The cunning part was that instead of a lovely choice of chocolates and sweets the prizes were limited to a small range on the counter. Daddy Gray's cheapest, soapy tasting chocolate, mouth staining sherbert bags and lip blistering acid drops.

In a way it was not a gamble. We did not lose our money and at least  got a 'prize', half an ounce of sweets. but it was no bargain.

Good quality chocolates and sweets were tuppence a quarter.
My gambling came to an end when the police banned Daddy Gray's money making little machine.

My only other experience of bingo was even more bizarre. 

Once a month Tokyo city government held a session with incredible prizes - houses and flats. With an enormous waiting list and no points scheme as in Britain, they decided  a lottery was the fairest way.

Loudspeaker vans toured the city on bingo day.

The massive hall was packed with Tokyo people desperate to win a home. Excitement mounted as the numbers were announced.

 'Full house!' was the apt, rapturous  reply from the winners.
But I felt sad for all the losers.

I think I will stick with my Sunrise sessions.


Sub Editor's note: Bob seems to have forgotten his time at seaside amusement arcades in the 1970s showing Robert how to play the penny and tuppenny slot machines...

No comments:

Post a Comment