Sunday 4 July 2021

1966 and all that

Like millions more, I have seen more soccer matches lately than ever and am enjoying the experience.

I am amazed by the ball juggling skills, the ability of players to bring it under control, even from a great height, then almost automatically be off, what we used to call dribbling, or passing accurately.

I wish I had had that ability back in the 1940s  as a right winger. I can offer the excuse that the leather, laced-up ball was a handicap, especially on a rainy day when, soaked, it was like a cannonball - I never headed it. 

I could not take corners as I could not kick it far enough.

I am confused by today’s fluid style and the combinations - 3/4/3 4/3/3, whatever. It used to be just 2/3/5 with two of the five the hard working inside forwards.

I used to go with Bert, and sometimes Dad, to watch Fulham and Chelsea when the formation was rigidly adhered to. The full backs hardly ever crossed the half way line. 

One player was an exception, Bacuzzi, the Fulham left back, whose style is now accepted.

I hope England go on from last night’s fine performance when they looked sharper and more confident but think the Danish match will be a big test.

Bob and young Robert with Gabby, our German visitor, July 1966

I would love to see England win the tournament  I remember 1966. We were living in London and I watched on television. Staying with us with was Gabby, the Ludwigsburg Oberburgermeister’s daughter.

She spent most of the game screaming Beckenbauer!  - Franz, the brilliant German player. 

She cried when they lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment