Saturday 13 February 2021

Coronavirus diary, Sunday 14 February 2021


Fifty years ago Britain switched currency. Pounds, shillings and pence gave way to the decimal age, a boon to everyone. At first it was met with suspicion. it was different and therefore difficult, and with a new penny worth more than double the trusted old one, life would be more expensive. I doubt if anyone now would like to go back to the old currency, and I was relieved when Britain decided not to adopt the euro 20 years ago. It would have had advantages, though. I remember when all the countries in the EU had their own currency. A meandering holiday drive to Austria with my family involved six different currencies, and with a maximum of £50 worth for each one, it was a nightmare.

What a difference for me today. I don't have to handle cash. In Sunrise, and probably all care home, we don't need any as, like cruises,  it is a cash free society. All our living costs are covered by the fee - expensive but good value - and other expenditure, including hairdressing and pedicure, are put on our account. 

I have not been able to go shopping for many months and the only cash I keep is for pocket money for my grandchildren when they visit me - the last time was ten months ago. I am quite looking forward to having my wallet and cash in my pocket again.

No comments:

Post a Comment