Monday 1 February 2021

Coronavirus diary, Monday 1 February 2021


The war ended my chance of going to university. I was thirteen and had been at Emanuel School, Wandsworth for two years. Instead of being evacuated with the school to Churchers College in Hampshire I went to live with an aunt in Cardiff and transferred to Cardiff High School.

Over the next four years I had three more changes between Cardiff and London before leaving school at 16. 

I was fortunate. Despite the upheaval, I went on to an interesting career but I still regret not going to university. I would have been the first in my family. It was the same with most families. 

What a difference since prime minister Tony Blair promised that everyone could have university education. His aim was achieved; the number universities increased to 106.

But a change is coming. The pandemic has wrecked the plan, with the likelihood of fewer universities and far fewer students, especially from overseas.

This may not be a disaster. Not if it encourages the government to improve education and job prospects and training for young people, 

For decades in the last century technical schools and colleges were the stepping stones to interesting, well paid careers. We had a flourishing further education system and daytime and evening classes.

These institutions were the mainstay of adult learning before the first world war. My three uncles in Cardiff went to evening classes before they were called up to serve in the army and all had professional careers and prosperous lives.

My brother, Bert, who failed the eleven-plus examination in 1932, and went to a London technical school, became a senior civil servant. And the lack of a university education didn't stop long-serving Cardiff MP Jim Callaghan becoming prime minister in 1976.

So there is hope for young people who are struggling due to the pandemic. With decisive action by the government and their own determination they can follow those of us who overcame problems of an interrupted and shortened education.

No comments:

Post a Comment