Saturday 31 October 2020

Coronavirus diary, Saturday 31 October



Home again

After three weeks in hospital, coming home to Sunrise was a huge relief. Unexpected. 

In hospital I was concerned that I would not be able to able to look after myself and would have to go to a nursing home.I asked Robert to see if it might be the Waverley in Penarth,

Life in hospital was so different. My world had shrunk to a bed, a table and a cupboard for my possessions. Time had no meaning. Day and night merged into endless intermittent checks. blood pressure, temperature, drips and needles

The first two weeks was a blur but life suddenly opened up with new tablets. For the first time for weeks I could move my legs without pain; a few days later I was able to get out of bed and with the help of a physio, take a few steps, dragging my right leg, encased in a heavy box on my broken ankle.

After a few false alarms I was ready to leave for home.

The elation of  the return was tempered by doubt over whether I could still be able to look after myself.

As usual I made a list of ‘tasks’, the first of which was how to get about the flat. I have two more weeks with the boot, so progress is slow.

Life has changed totally, again. Being looked after so well, being able to talk to the carers despite having to stay in my flat for another week or two. And the bliss of a good night’s  sleep with little pain. 

Time is still unimportant and I am learning to be patient. To go slow, pace myself and work out a routine. 

Then there is  the pleasure of reading, writing and listening to music. 

Best of all, there is peace and comfort

It’’s great to be home and to look forward to the days and weeks ahead. 

I have been encouraged and buoyed by the support of all the family and by the welcome home from the marvellous Sunrise team.

No comments:

Post a Comment