Thursday 25 June 2020

Coronavirus diary, Thursday 25 June



Waking up and looking out of the window at the glorious sunshine, I was looking forward to a relaxed day - I might  even venture into the sun-soaked Sunrise garden. Then the BBC television Breakfast show spoiled my day. 

The lead story was not the usual update on coronavirus but about UV. Hot news, but chilling information.
The definition of UV: 'Ultraviolet is an electromagnetic radiation, shorter than visible light but longer than X-rays, it is present in sunlight'.

So now I know. Extending my research I found good news, and bad news.

First the bad: 'Exposure of UV can lead to premature ageing of the skin (got that already) and wrinkling' -  oh dear! mustn't look in the mirror today - and eye problems (got those, too).

The good news? UV won't kill me.

Even better and more relevant, recent research reports that it
is safe for humans and deadly for viruses - ''continuous low doses of UVC can kill airborne flu viruses without harming humans'.

I feel better already. I definitely will go into the Sunrise garden today.

That reminds me of a little poem I wrote years ago.

The sunbather's lament
To lie in the sun
by the pool
as a rule
can be fun
but beware the glare
it can thrill you
or grill you
like a steak on the griddle
especially your middle
I know that's quite true
as I've learned to rue
and you should see 
my sister's blisters!





No comments:

Post a Comment