Thursday 11 June 2020

Coronavirus diary, Wednesday 10 June


How are young adults coping with lockdown? Today, a guest post by my niece's son, Adam Taylor, 19. 


The year of the global pandemic: my thoughts on lockdown 2020
It is safe to say that even before the coronavirus first reared its head in the UK in March this year, 2020 was already proving to be turbulent with bush fires ravaging Australia and the premature death of basketball icon Kobe Bryant. However, it is arguable that lockdown has brought the most upheaval and uncertainty to the United Kingdom since the years of the Second World War.
Personally, lockdown has triggered many firsts for me. With finishing my final weeks of lectures and doing my entire first year of university exams in my bedroom online providing the most surreal experience. It felt particularly strange and anticlimactic to submit my final exam knowing that there would be no celebrations, summer ball, or end of season dinners to enjoy, at least not for a while. The end of my first year at university came almost as fast as my experience began and lockdown has provided the opportunity to reflect on the new friendships I had built, the new experiences I’d had and think about the things I want to achieve next year.
However, it would be unfair to say that lockdown has been only full of gloom, exams, and profound thinking! It has been amazing to see how the British population has responded to these measures that, particularly to my generation, are completely alien to us. The clap for carers movement, ‘Run 5, Donate 5, Nominate 5’ and Captain Tom Moore showing incredible flashes of humanity. 


On a slightly lighter note, weekly Zoom pub calls with my friends as well as football socials and quizzes provided much needed release and entertainment during the harsher stages of lockdown. I truly believe that only the British would go to such lengths to keep the pub alive! The first ever Taylor Family Physical Challenge that recently came to a close with Dan reigning victorious also provided a great deal of friendly competition with events from netball to snooker allowing us to spend time together having spent the majority of the last year apart with Dan away in Paris and myself in Exeter. If one member of the family has enjoyed the company, it must be Charlie with double the walks and attention coming his way!

As the restrictions have started to ease, some sense of normality has slowly begun to return. After nine weeks apart from my girlfriend Sophie, I have been able to see her whilst abiding by social distancing measures and I have met a few of my friends in town at a safe distance and enjoying communication unhindered by questionable Wi-Fi connections! We can only hope now that the statistics continue to improve, and the restrictions be relaxed further.
Socially distanced queues and takeaway meals have dominated many of our thoughts during lockdown as well as the grief of those who have lost family and friends and the stress of key workers who risk their lives daily. However, it appears that a new phenomenon is emerging with the protests for Black Lives Matter beginning to grow in popularity and intensity. I feel we can only guess as to where these protests will lead but what is very positive for me is seeing the growing awareness and willingness across all generations to educate ourselves about this age old and incredibly worthy cause. If this pandemic will ultimately increase awareness and equality in the wake of these protests, then perhaps we will see some positive change.
Overall, my experience of this pandemic has been a mixed bag of emotions dominated by uncertainty and confusion. However, I feel in some way that being part of history in this way will affect the lives of my generation for decades to come and it will be remembered as a hugely significant time in our lives. Through all the toxic politics and stagnant debate, I must say that it has been a truly unforgettable experience and despite the far from ideal situation, I have made some extremely fond memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment