Monday 30 August 2021

Sunrise reflections, two years on


Two years ago today I moved into my new home, and a new life, at Sunrise Cardiff.

And what a life it has proved to be. I didn't foresee the historic events that would follow.

My first six months here was a time of adjustment, of learning to live in different surroundings, of adapting to a totally different life style. My ‘turret suite’ was comfortable and the care and attention I was receiving helped make up for the lack of total freedom l had always enjoyed. 

It was a relief when, after a sad and worrying few years with Rosemary’s eyesight failing and Beverley’s sudden death, I found I could not manage to look after myself properly and deciding that moving into a home was the answer.

After that first comfortable and comforting six months coronavirus changed everything. There was uncertainty and anxiety, relieved by the magnificent Sunrise carers. My lowest point was in autumn 2020 when I was in hospital with coronavirus and a broken ankle, followed by weeks involving isolation and a very slow recovery.

Throughout those difficult months I felt optimistic and positive and I recorded my thoughts in my blog, recently published on Kindle as Pandemic! My Care Home Diary, thanks to Robert’s skill and patience as editor

Today, I feel better than I have for years, able to look after myself and enjoy life, even if it is still limited to some extent.

What of the future? Whatever happens I will try to remain positive, and grateful for my good fortune in having such a marvellous family and so many friends.

Better days - surely better than the past, best forgotten, eighteen months.

No comments:

Post a Comment