Thursday 2 February 2023

January 28

 Friendship

Friendship. One of the richest treasures of life. Infinitely varied, ageless, deeply rewarding and comforting .

A source of love, contentment anf fulfilment.

That has been my experience over the whole of my long life.

Sadly, most of my older friends have died but I still enjoy and appreciate the companionship and love of younger ones.

We usually make our first friendships during our school days but my experience was restricted as a teenager when I switched schools and homes in four war time years.

There was rich compensation during my years in the Boys Brigade in Cardiff, serving as private and officer. I remember them all.

Most rewarding and treasured friend was Bill Miller who worked for Cardiff city council and spent most of his life as captain of the 23rd Cardiff Boys Brigade company .

Bills  wife showed the same commitment to the Girls Life Brigade

He taught me so much, including public speaking which proved  important for me as reporter and pr man.

Then there were scores of BB friends, the soccer and other games teams.

 There was less time to develop new friends in my long, busy carer but here too I was fortunatewith some of those I worked with and even my bosses including Peter Davey the county chief executive with whom I travelled the world on work.

My longest friendship has also been international. It was sixty years ago I met three families from overseas.

Caerphilly’s twinning with Ludwigsburg in Germany led to my meeting young Ursula,- Uschi- who came to Caerphilly as translater for the Ludwigsburg choir’s first visit and her husband Dieter, andWerner who came to our home in Cardiff when on teaching practice near us.and his wife Sabine.

Uschi’ s daughter Anette, the same age as Robert, and we used to take t.hem to the local playground.

The Wises - Jim and Betty, our friends from Des Moines Idaho  first came to Cardiff  over fifty years ago on a travel schefounded by the President.

Since then we have made many visits to Germany and the Des Moines where Jim and Betty died last year.

 Now, back in Penarth, I have been reunited with many old ones friends, making my life still interesting and positive

How fortunate I have been with all my friendships.


No comments:

Post a Comment